24 Aug WAAW FOUNDATION 2022 SCHOLARSHIP APPLICATION OPENS SEPTEMBER 6, 2021.
Working to Advance STEM Education for African Women (WAAW) Foundation is pleased to announce its 2021/2022 scholarships, offering $500 for both merit and need-based female African students admitted to a University, College, or institute of higher learning in Africa. WAAW Foundation is a U.S. based non-profit organization whose mission is to increase the pipeline of African girls in Science, Technology, Engineering and Math (STEM) and Computer Science (CS) related fields, and work to ensure that this female talent is engaged in technology innovation for Africa’s development.
Eligibility: Female students of African origin living in Africa, less than 32 years, have gained Undergraduate admission to a University or College in Africa and are studying a Science, Technology, Engineering, or Math (STEM) related degree course. Candidates must demonstrate financial need and an excellent academic record. Special consideration is given to underprivileged students such as orphans, girls impacted by HIV, or students in their first or second year of study.
Eligible courses are: Science, Technology, Engineering and Maths (STEM)-related courses
- All fields of Engineering
- All computer science
- Science & Math related fields; Industrial chemistry, environmental sciences, Agriculture, Geography, zoology, and Statistics, etc
- Medical courses; Pharmacy / BioMedical, Biochemistry, (NO CORE MEDICAL COURSE like Medicine and Surgery, Nursing, Optometry, etc)
Examples of courses that are not eligible to apply: Core medical courses like Medicine and Surgery, Nursing, etc, mass communication, Social Sciences, Accounting, Business administration, Economics, etc
*Please note that WAAW does not fund diploma, polytechnic, and graduate (masters, MBA or PhD) programs, second or subsequent degrees, students older than 32 years, non-STEM focused courses.
Benefits: Scholarship recipients receive an award of $500 equivalent in their country’s local currency for the 2022 academic year.
The Application Process: WAAW Foundation will accept online applications from September 06, 2021. Applications submitted prior to this date will not be received or reviewed. Scholarship applications are reviewed by the WAAW Foundation Scholarship Committee, and awards are announced by February 2021.
Application opens: September 6th, 2021
Application closes: 2 pm West African Time (WAT), November 12th, 2021
The Application Process: WAAW will accept online applications from September 6 through November 12, 2021, at 2 pm West African Time (WAT). Incomplete applications will not be reviewed. Scholarship applications are reviewed by the WAAW Foundation Scholarship Committee, and awards are announced by April 2022. Instructions on how to apply are below.
How to Apply:
Stage 1: Fill out the online application form: https://waawfoundation.org/scholarships/
- Please note that applications submitted outside of this window will not be considered.
- You will be required to write essays on your future career goals and how you expect the WAAW scholarship will assist in fulfilling those goals.
- We also require two letters of recommendation if shortlisted for the scholarship.
- Only shortlisted candidates will be required to mail current University transcripts directly to WAAW Foundation by January 2022.
Stage 2: If you are shortlisted;
- You will be invited for a Skype/Zoom Interview.
- You are required to submit 2 reference letters from your Head of Department and Lecturer academic mentors.
- You are required to submit recent academic transcripts.
Stage 3: If you are successful at the Skype interview you will be awarded the scholarship which is contingent on you submitting relevant documentation.
All applicants are strongly encouraged to follow us on WAAW social media listed below at:
- Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/waawfoundation
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/WAAW_Foundation
- Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/waawfoundation/
- Linkedin: https://www.linkedin.com/company/waaw-foundation/
- Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/waawfoundation
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org for partnership and sponsorship opportunities.