POSITION: Volunteer STEM Trainer Position (Internship)
Under the supervision of WAAW Program Manager, the STEM trainer will work with Public secondary school girls in Africa, both in and out of the classroom. The position is responsible for: developing and implementing innovative, challenging, and engaging Science, Technology, Engineering and Math hands-on curricular; providing STEM training for individual and group tutoring and enrichment during the summer STEM camp Program; and participating in special events and extra-curricular activities.
This position must ensure that the mission, purpose, image, and the core values of working to advance STEM education for African Women (WAAW) foundation is conveyed.
Duration: Serves as an instructor on a seasonal/occasional basis, within 2-3 weeks in Africa
Training program coordination and management
- Map out training plans, design and develop training programs
- Assist in the management of STEM training equipment and supplies.
- Preparing the learning environment and resources, including setting up IT equipment where appropriate.
- Engage students in discussion and research relevant to the project at hand.
- Engage with school teachers and campers’ parents to elicit constructive feedback about the STEM camp Program.
- Plan and participate in group cultural activities and special events/field trips scheduled throughout the camp program.
- Participate in WAAW pre-camp facilitators and counselors training.
- Starts and ends classes on time and returns all equipment to proper location.
- Assist the Program Director with reporting and tracking all STEM activities
- Work with WAAW Program and Operation directors to ensure successful program implementation.
- Interpret the present curriculum and proposed curriculum changes to the board, the administration, the staff, and the general public.
- Designing course materials and other documents such as handouts, manuals and exercises.
- Provide hands-on based curriculum for campers to work towards growth within the STEM camp program.
- Develop and implement STEM lesson plans in alignment with camp.
Quality Control and Evaluation
- Create learning outcomes and evaluation procedures for camp program
- Define student workflow, establish metrics, deliverables, and other processes for measuring program progress.
- Collect student feedback on program in form of standard evaluation and provide results to the Program Director
- Manage student expectations, maintaining student schedule, instituting accountability measures and addressing buy modafinil online with paypal student motivation and performance issues as necessary.
- Maintain accurate and complete records of the participant’s performance, attendance, and other pertinent information.
- Serve as “sounding board” for student brainstorming and ideas.
- Serve as student role model by modeling productive work habits, positive attitude, and effective professional relationships.
- Maintain confidentiality according to regulations and procedures.
- Perform other duties as assigned
Skills and Requirements
You will need to show:
- Up-to-date knowledge of common IT applications and systems;
- Indepth and working Knowledge of software programming langugages such as Python, Java Script;
- Pedagogy skills and technical ability to train in software programming
- Curriculum development;
- Oral and written communication skills;
- Organization and planning skills;
- Training delivery and presentation skills;
- The deployment of hands-on learning technologies;
- Patience and confidence;
- Self-motivation and the ability to motivate others;
- A willingness to learn;
- Work effectively with partner and community organizations;
- Requires initiative, go getter attitude and ability to work independently with little supervision;
- Some travel required;
- Must enjoy working with girls and youth and support the mission of WAAW Foundation.
- Undergraduate Degree in any course from an accredited college/university.
- Coding and software development experience
- Experience in curriculum development and training.
- Working knowledge and interest in STEM programming.
- Experience working with middle/high school youth and knowledge of child development.
- Personal desire to make a difference.
- Strong problem solving proficiency.
- Tutoring or Teaching experience in a classroom, camp, museum, or other STEM education setting.
- Passion for engaging children and adults in STEM learning.
- Experience with inquiry-based teaching methods
Compensation: Travel, feeding and lodging expenses may be covered with a small honorarium offered where possible.
ABOUT WAAW FOUNDATION: WAAW (Working to Advance Science and Technology Education for African Women) Foundation is an international non-profit organization founded in 2007. Headquartered in Lagos, Nigeria with an operational office in Wylie, Texas. The mission of WAAW Foundation is to increase the pipeline of African women entering into Science and Technology fields and ensure they are engaged in Technology Innovation and Entrepreneurship to benefit Africa. Learn more at www.waawfoundation.org
How to Apply: Application Process
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. Please include a letter expressing in detail your interest in the position, your qualifications, and what you hope to contribute to the organization’s future; a current resume; and the names and contact information for three professional references.
Cover letter and resume should be emailed to email@example.com